Hello dear reader,
This is my fifth recipe in the series that I have developed for Mackays, the Scottish makers of marmalades, preserves, curds and conserves.
You can read all about Mackays, and how I got involved with their blogger challenges, in my previous Mackays recipes…
Baking with Mackays
Christmas with Mackays
In this, the second of my Christmas recipes, I wanted to show you a very quick and easy starter or supper dish. This recipe couldn’t be simpler – can you even call something with only two ingredients a recipe? This is also such a fun dish to eat – almost like a fondue.
Spiced Ginger Baked Camembert
For me Christmas is summed up by the smell of mixed spice – no matter what time of year I catch a hint of its scent, I instantly have thoughts of Christmas. So when I discovered that Mackays spiced ginger preserve has mixed spice in it, I just knew it was destined for my Christmas recipes.
For this recipe you will need one 250g round boxed camembert cheese to share between 2-3 people. This means it is very easy to scale up if you have a lot of guests coming.
1) Take the camembert out of the fridge an hour before baking to come to room temperature.
2) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4).
3) Remove the camembert from its box, unwrap & score the top.
4) Remove the scored skin from the top
5) Place back in its box, without the wrapping
6) Fill the centre, where you removed the skin, with Mackays spiced ginger preserve
7) Replace the lid
8) Bake for about 15 minutes until melted and bubbly
9) Stir the cheese and spiced ginger preserve together and serve in its box, with melba toasts for dipping
Since 2-3 people need to share one cheese, it is great fun and a real ice-breaker if you have anyone new or shy at your Christmas table. I will probably serve this delicious Spiced Ginger Baked Camembert as a starter for our family dinner on Christmas Eve. Enjoy!
P.S. Mackays sent me eight jars of jams and preserves to use.
Watch this space for more ”Christmas with Mackays” recipes.